Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nature Scene

Looking at the different quotes for nature I thought we could use these. First, to focus on nature, this climax of the Tempest where Prospero "throws in the towel."

The Tempest Act V Scene I lines 45-60 Prospero: The noontide sun, call'd forth the mutinous winds, And 'twixt the green sea and the azured vault Set roaring war: to the dread rattling thunder 2065 Have I given fire and rifted Jove's stout oak With his own bolt; the strong-based promontory Have I made shake and by the spurs pluck'd up The pine and cedar: graves at my command Have waked their sleepers, oped, and let 'em forth 2070 By my so potent art. But this rough magic I here abjure, and, when I have required Some heavenly music, which even now I do, To work mine end upon their senses that This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff, 2075 Bury it certain fathoms in the earth, And deeper than did ever plummet sound I'll drown my book.

I clipped it a bit, but I feel like this captures how nature and magic rule. While this leans more toward what he has done with magic to control nature, this quote from King Lear is great for how we are all susceptible to nature.

King Lear Act III Scene 2 the first 9 lines. Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow! You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout Till you have drench'd our steeples, drown'd the cocks! 1680 You sulph'rous and thought-executing fires, Vaunt-couriers to oak-cleaving thunderbolts, Singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder, Strike flat the thick rotundity o' th' world, Crack Nature's moulds, all germains spill at once, 1685 That makes ingrateful man!

I can see us using this line pretty easily because it relates to how we are dominated by nature. Here is "man's most powerful title," KING and he can't do anything about nature. I think filming a big football player slipping on the ice here will be effective because he is a figure society looks up to, but it shows he still cannot go around nature's powers.

No comments:

Post a Comment